- Water; drink a huge glass before pulling out any ingredients, keep a second glass handy for the remainder of the job
- Menu; establish one and stick to it. Don't allow a search through the cupboards and the fridge to distract you from your goal. Glance at the menu, gather what you need and ignore the chips, leftovers and drinks
- Focus on the task at hand. You are creating a lovely meal for your loved ones. This is a gift to you and to them. Make it a special time each evening rather than a chore (in your mind.)
- Listen: have a podcast or your favorite music ready to go and fully enjoy it. In our kitchen at dinner prep time the choice is between helping or keeping quiet. If a child is helping, give them your time and encouragement...and a job to do!
- Keep going; don't stop once dinner is cooking. Set the table, sweep the floor, clean out the fridge or a cupboard.